1)In the videos about “Tinker School” by GeverTulley, describe one thing that you found surprising/inspiring?
2)In the videos about “Tinker School” by GeverTulley, Name two things you found really cool that they made
3)IDEO – Which technical innovation did you find most interesting?
4)IDEO – Which Process/Relationship innovation did you find most interesting?
1)Wilcox advocates for technologies for people in developing countries – name two priorities for these technologies.
2)A Nigerian man at the end of Wilcox’s story is moving into government subsidized housing– how does he feel about this?
3)Schumacher claims that the developing world needs what kind of employment/business development?
4)Describe the technologies that would fulfill Schumacher’s ideal businesses.
1)For last Wednesday, you read an opinion in the NYTimes called Innovation for the People By the People. What is different about how the government now contracts out to solve a problem?
2)what are four advantages to using this technology?
3)In what way did the “lessons from the Field 1” reinforce our thoughts on rapid prototyping and failure?
4)in looking for a way to dry the briquettes, what fundamental truths did Takachar find?
1)What plan to eradicate poverty does Paul Polack describe in his TEDx presentation?
2)What was Paul Pollack doing before he started working with development?
3)Which are your favorite of the “12 steps?”
4)Do you disagree with any of Paul Pollack’s “don’t bother trilogy”?
5)Why does Paul Pollack think Appropriate Technology is dead?
6)In the forum in Seoul, how does Paul Pollack feel about the ethics of making money from the poor?
7)How would you describe Paul Pollack’s development model?
Class 8: Bill Gates $1000 toilet
1)Define social impact design. How is this different than traditional design?
2)How is beauty prioritized in D-Rev’s design process?
3)What is ‘measured impact’ and how does D-Rev use it in design as well as post-production?
4) Who is Kankwazi? Where did the name come from?
5) What does Kankwazi say about gender equality?
1) What Problem is being addressed: Unijet immunizations, SILCS reusable diaphragm, – what about the color choice is interesting? Quick Results lab on a card, Strip Tests malaria and TB
2) Why do 95% choose the box over $ (in Finland)?
Originally for Low Income, Required a doctor’s visit at 4 months, Adaptable, Encourages good parenting, Box as a symbol…”of equality and the importance of children.”
1) Complete this sentence: Failure and go hand in hand.
2) Define fidelity and give an example of low, medium, and high fidelity prototype.
3) How does feedback play into natural selection?
4) What is failing forward?
5) Explain the concept of little bets.
1) Who are some prominent figures notorious for failures?
2) Which theory do you identify with more: Chris Rock or Jeff Bezos?
3) Why is it easier to give feedback on a rough prototype than a finished product?
4) Are you afraid of failure?
5) What do you think about awarding failure?
1) What is technology transfer?
2) What leads to an “unfavorable environment for a technology transfer from abroad?”
3) How are property rights stalling technology adoption?
4) How does this article address cultural sensitivities?
5) How is USAID and Co. incentivizing economic responsibility in emerging markets? Has it been successful?
1) Do you agree that emerging economies shouldn’t mimic our path to development?
2) What responsibility do developed nations have to the concept of globalization and international investment?
3) What about the transitional companies responsibility to the environment? (social, ecological and economic)
4) How do you convince the world that small, affordable technology have the highest adoption rates?
1) What does BOP stand for?
2) Why is investment in BOP the exception not the rule?
3) What keeps companies from catering to the poor’s needs?
4) What is a stopgap? “Economists often talk about the way these stopgaps crowd out private investment if they’re adopted as long-term measures”
5) Explain the concept of grassroots. Do you believe it can still happen today in the US?